One of the most interesting points that was made during the meeting came from Mr. Webber who pointed out that in cities where charter school systems have thrived, the public schools systems in general are some of the best. It’s naive to assume that a charter school system can truly succeed in a city or state where the public school systems are not succeeding. The data found in the report- Delivering on the Promise: How Missouri Can Grow Excellent Accountable Public Charter Schools– begs the question, “Should we even be pursuing a charter school system in Missouri given the relatively poor results seen thus far from the charter schools that currently exist in our state?” Mr. Webber pointed out that the national data is resoundingly in favor of charter schools and that policies and systems need to change in Missouri in order for a charter school system to be successful here.
The materials below include some great resources about education and charter schools in our state.
- Building Teacher Quality in the Kansas City, Missouri School District
- Delivering on the Promise: How Missouri Can Grow Excellent, Accountable Public Charter Schools
- Public School in St. Louis: Place, Performance, and Promise
- Creating Great Options- St. Louis Public Schools
- Charter Schools in Missouri- Basic Facts and Information