Storytelling with Data- Using Data Visualization to Enhance Communications Between Grantmakers and Nonprofits
Speaker: Cole Nussbaumer, Storytelling with Data and Manager of Analytics at Google – click here for bio
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM: Breakfast
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM: Overview of data visualization theory and best practices
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Hands-on learning workshopWhere: Engineer’s Club of St. Louis, 4359 Lindell BlvdOpen to: Member Grantmakers (free), NonMember Grantmakers ($35), Nonprofits ($35) (Note this is in place of our spring Meet the Donor program.)
At the end of this interactive session, participants should be able to:
- Comprehend difference between a poor visual and an effective one and identify examples of each.
- Employ preattentive attributes to direct attention and provide a visual hierarchy of information.
- Recognize flair that doesn’t add informative value and be comfortable cutting it from visual displays.
- Know what type of visual to use given the information that is to be displayed.
- Understand affordances, accesibility, and aesthetics and how to apply these design principles to data visualizations.
- Synthesize lessons learned to transform a poor visual into an effective one.
Call for examples: Do you have an infographic you would like feedback on? Send an electronic version of your data visualization (table, graph, slide – any sort of data representation) to [email protected] by April 9th for possible inclusion in the storytelling with data hands-on workshop.