While the devastating Japan earthquake and tsunami have passed, the recovery and mourning have just begun. The disaster could become the most expensive earthquake in history.
We would like to offer our members some guidance when it comes to providing the needed support.
Grantmakers can be more effective and strategic in addressing disasters by following eight principles of good disaster management (Council on Foundations):
- Do no harm.
- Stop, look and listen before taking action.
- Don’t act in isolation.
- Think beyond the immediate crisis to the long term.
- Bear in mind the expertise of local organizations.
- Find out how prospective grantees operate.
- Be accountable to those you are trying to help.
- Communicate your work widely and use it as an educational tool.
Here are some established charities with a proven track record of success dealing with this type of disaster:
- American Red Cross- http://www.redcross.org/
- AmeriCares- http://www.americares.org/
- Doctors Without Borders, USA- http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
- Feed the Children- http://www.feedthechildren.org
- Give2Asia- http://give2asia.org/japantsunami-2011
- Global Giving- http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/japan-earthquake-tsunami-relief/
- Interaction- http://www.interaction.org/
- Salvation Army- http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf
- Save the Children- http://www.savethechildren.org
- United States Fund for UNICEF- http://www.unicefusa.org/
- Worldwide United Way- http://worldwide.unitedway.org/
For more information about charities that are responding and providing support after the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami please visit the Chronicle of Philanthropy: http://philanthropy.com/article/Charities-Respond-to-Pacific/126706/.
- Guide to Disaster Grantmaking- A Practical Guide for Foundations and Corporations (Council on Foundations)
- United States International Grantmaking
Using Technology to Help:
- Text to Donate
The American Red Cross has once again launched a texting campaign to raise money for relief efforts in the Pacific region. Last year, the Red Cross was able to raise over $20 million for Haiti relief through simple text donations.
If you would like to donate to the American Red Cross for Japan Earthquake Relief, just text REDCROSS to 90999. Each text will provide $10 towards the Red Cross’s humanitarian efforts.
- Donate via Facebook
The Red Cross has also launched a campaign on Causes to raise at least $25,000 for relief efforts. By logging in to Facebook, you can donate anywhere from $10 to $500 to help Tsunami victims and their families.
- Embed Some Code
If you run a website and want to get your customers or users involved in relief efforts, all you need to do is embed a simple snippet of code. The Hello Bar places a simple message at the top of your website with just a few lines of code. The service, which is in private beta, has decided to open its doors to anybody willing to help the victims of the crisis in Japan.
Simply sign up with the invite code “helpjapan” and you can quickly get the code snippet you need to embed a customized Hello Bar that will drive donations.