Everyone who attended last night Focus St. Louis’s What’s Right with the Region 14th Annual Awards Celebration held at the Sheldon Concert Hall knows that there is a lot that is right with the St. Louis region. The event brought together hundreds of businesses, organizations, and individuals that are committed to making St. Louis a better place to work and live.
The evening kicked off with a cocktail party where you couldn’t turn around without running into someone you know or someone’s who’s name you knew but wanted to meet. City and county politicians, senior business executives, nonprofit leaders, and dedicated individuals came together to recognize the 20 honorees of the evening. Those honorees were separated into five categories and included:
Creating Quality Educational Opportunities
- Crossroads College Preparatory School
- Dr. Henry Givens, Jr.
- The Magic House, St. Louis Children’s Museum
- Marian Middle School
- Healthy Kids Express- Pediatric Mobile Health Program
- Judge Jimmie M. Edwards
- Simone Bernstein
- St. Louis Bread Co. Cares Cafe
- Healthy Eating with Local Produce
- Midwest China Hub
- Peter & Paul Community Services
- St. Louis Healthy Families
- 24:1- an initiative led by Beyond Housing
- Francine Broderick and Places for People
- Wings of Hope
The 2011 Leadership Award Honoree for the evening was Donald M. Suggs. He is the President and publisher of the St. Louis American and sits on 27 nonprofit boards in the St. Louis region! His acceptance speech focused on the potential for the St. Louis region and urged our leaders to not let opportunities slip away, specifically the potential of the Midwest China Hub.