The course instructor, Rebecca Riccio left participants with the overarching tool that guided the course: the RISE Model, which can be a framework for any philanthropist, whether an individual making a small donation, or a world class foundation.
Thank to you the Learning by Giving Foundation, and Northeastern University for making available this great resource!
“Relevance is about connectedness and meaning.
- Does the organization clearly articulate and understand the need to which it is responding?
- Does it know “what works” in response to this need?
- Is it connected to the community or individuals it serves?
- Does its work have meaning to me?
“Impact is about making a difference.
- Does the organization clearly explain how it is making a difference?
- Is its program design logical?
- Does the organization hold itself accountable for results?
- Is supporting this organization the best way for me to make a difference with my resources?
“Sustainability is about using money wisely.
- Is the organization’s business model clearly defined?
- Do its revenue sources seem reliable now, and into the future?
- Does it provide evidence of managing its money effectively?
- Does supporting this organization fit into my giving plan?
“Excellence in Management and Operations is about having the capacity to do the work well.
- Is the organization recognized as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity?
- Are key staff, including the executive director, and the board of directors well qualified?
- Are the organization’s marketing and communication materials informative and professional?
- Have I done my due diligence and assessed this organization using the RISE Framework?”